What’s included in our tours?
All our tours are proposed as Self Guided, and they include:
- Welcome meeting and shuttle to first hotel
- Tour briefing and bike fitting
- Accommodation in hotels selected for their comfort and personality
- International breakfasts
- Luggage transportation from hotel to hotel
- Route notes and maps of original itineraries
- Trip literature
- Telephone assistance, and with our rep when needed
- Shuttle to airport on last day
And if I want a guided tour?
If you have a group and you prefer a guided experience, we’ll add a first class support, according to the highest level of standard on the industry:
- Two or more experienced and skilful guides, absolutely locals and English speaking
- Van support following the group and preparing snacks during the day
- All dinners but one, just to let you having your own culinary experience (and may be to take a rest from Sardinian food 😉
- Most of the lunches, with some tasty picnics prepared by guides
- Each itinerary also includes specific activities per each tour, ranging from wine and food tastings to art performance and cultural visits. The activities are described and listed in the detailed itineraries of each tour.
What is not included?
- Bike Hire on Epic Adventures
- Personal items when you are on the tour
- Wine (we run an optional wine kitty on tour)
We strongly suggest to have a proper travel insurance covering health and accidents, luggage and travel. Mediterras will not assume liability or responsibility for any damage to persons or their personal effects, or for any injury or loss sustained during the tour. In case you need we’ll help you out in finding the right insurance for you.
We stay in charming accommodations that add authenticity to our tours, selecting the places according to their personality and the hospitality of the hosts, connecting you with the places we travel in.
Sardinia has three airports, Cagliari, Olbia and Alghero, per each tour we suggest the best arrival and departure airport.
We’d suggest you to arrive within noon, which will enable you to have time enough for a detailed briefing about your tour and to “taste” the spirit of Sardinia before riding your bike.
Grading, extra loops and level of fitness
Our tours have three levels:
- 1 wrench – Stages up to 50 km per day with maximum 600 meters of climbing.
They are conceived for guests that ride their bikes twice per week on roads without major climbs. Usually you are back at the hotel on the early afternoon.
- 2 wrenches – Stages up to 90 km per day with maximum 1300 meters of climbing.
Those tours appeal to riders used to train a bit, with some “tasty” climb. Usually you are back at the hotel on the early afternoon.
- 3 wrenches – Stages from 90 km per day with at least 1300 mt of climbing per day.
Those tours are designed for avid cyclists that belong to the local club and ride regularly. Usually you are back at the hotel late afternoon.
For guest that want more riding we can add extra loops to regular stages.
You can decide to bring your own bike, and we’ll be happy to help you reassembling it, or you can rent a bike that suits your tastes. If you decide to rent we can supply any kind of bike, including hybrids and e-bikes. Our standard road bikes have carbon frame and Shimano 105/Ultegra gruppo, the brands we work the most are Bianchi, Scott and Canyon.
If you want something absolutely fancy we can provide even Cipollini bikes.
We are happy to provide tips on where to go and what to do plus advice on travel arrangements before and after the tour itself. Once you set the balance for your tour, you will receive a detailed itinerary, a guide about the places you’ll visit and a list of trip preparation tips.
Arrival and Departure
The start and end point for all of our tours is the airport or transport hub you’ll arrive.
From here we’ll shuttle you to your first hotel. We provide as well a shuttle at the end of the tour taking you to a transport hub from where you’ll connect to your post tour destination.
On our guided tours, our van follows the group during the day, carrying snacks, electrolytes, tools we may need to repair a bike and many spare parts. Our Vans have a bike rack on the roof, able to accommodate up to 14 bikes, and guests that decide to have a bit of relax during a ride are more than welcome to join the driving guide.
Do you have a mechanic on tour?
All our guides have quite good mechanical skills, and on tour at least one is a qualified bike Mechanic. Said that, if you bring your own bike we suggest to have it checked at your local bike shop before the tour.
We’ll immerse you in the island’s flavours, a feast for your senses. Sardinia offers an incredible variety of foods, just to give you an idea we do produce more than 250 different kind of bread, we grow something like 110 different varieties of grapes and you’ll discover tasting meat and fishes, plus a vast choice of vegetarian and vegan foods. And all is organic. You’ll notice it on our meals.
Can you suit special dietary requirements?
Absolutely. Thanks to Sardinian food variety, we can accommodate vegetarians and vegans, gluten free and any other allergies or food intolerance.
The places that we select are used to catering for special dietary requirements, and they offer proper recipes.